There are several reasons to get rid of popcorn ceilings besides the fact that they are an eyesore and degrade the value of your home.
– They are significant dust-collectors (bad for allergies)
– They are difficult to paint
– They easily absorb household smells and cause odors
– Minute particles are always being knocked off and inhaled (horrible for asthma and allergies)
– Some older ones contain asbestos
If you’re ready to get rid of your popcorn ceilings, consider doing the removal yourself before you hire someone. It is time consuming, but doing it yourself will save you tons of money. However, if you think you might have asbestos, then you need to complete asbestos testing before beginning the project. Found asbestos will require a professional removal service.