Anise is one of the oldest spices known to humankind. It is a relaxant and stimulant as well as a tonic and is helpful for stomach and lung trouble.
1. Anise For Relieving Asthma and Bronchitis
Anethol, the oil that is found within anise, is used in modern cough medicines and to relieve asthma and bronchitis.
2. Anise As The Perfect Digestion Aid
The seeds of anise are licorice flavored and are used in breads, liqueurs, pastries and candies. The Romans used anise to flavor cake that they ate after their meals to improve their digestion. Many cultures make anise flavored liqueurs that are given with meals, since the essential oil in anise helps with digestion, eliminates gas and helps ease cramps and stomach troubles.
3. Anise For Boosting Lactation
Due to the milk stimulating effect anise has on women, it is one of the most recommended herbs to be taken by nursing mothers to boost lactation.
4. Anise As A Breath Sweetener and Mouthwash
Anise is commonly used in India where it is added to curries and used after meals to sweeten the breath and treat indigestion. Its antibacterial and antimicrobial properties make it an effective mouthwash.
5. Anise For Easing Flatulence
Anise tea is a quick, dependable way to ease flatulence. It also stimulates the appetite and promotes the digestion of fatty foods.
6. Anise has also been shown to increase libido in both men and women, treat impotence and ease menstrual cramps.