A root cellar is a wonderful way to store and extend the freshness of various types of foods. If you do not have the space for a more traditional root cellar, then consider adding one of these DIY root cellar alternatives. Many of them are inexpensive and fairly easy projects to complete within a weekend.
Still prefer a more traditional root cellar? Check out these awesome DIY root cellars that you can build for your homestead.
1. Build an off-grid refrigerator.
2. Build a DIY Zeer Pot for off-grid refrigeration.
3. Learn how to build a flower pot refrigerator.
4. Make a storage clamp for your food.
5. Build a springhouse for free refrigeration.
6. Repurpose an old refrigerator as a root cellar alternative.
7. Build an open-air refrigerator as a root cellar alternative.
8. Build a Trash can root cellar alternative.
9. Build a root cellar alternative from a plastic barrel.
10. Convert an old freezer to a solar powered refrigerator.
11. Make a five-gallon bucket root cellar alternative.
12. Build your own basement root cellar.
13. Keep vegetables cold by putting them in sand.
14. Store root vegetables in cardboard boxes.
15. Build a food storage shelf for a garage.
16. Make a root cellar from a refrigerator.
17. Make a root cellar from a 5-gallon bucket.
18. Build a DIY root cellar from a 55 gallon barrel.