A great way to keep food chilled throughout the year is to use a root cellar. There are many types of DIY root cellars for the homestead you can build. This includes a custom design to more traditional plans.
The DIY root cellars listed below range in terms of their size, building resources, and the skill level needed for construction. If these are too big or costly, consider these 18 DIY root cellar alternatives.
1. Build a root cellar using cob as insulation.
2. Build a DIY root cellar that doubles as a storm shelter.
3. Build an earthbag root cellar.
4. Build a DIY pallet root cellar.
5. Dig a hobbit hole wood cellar.
6. Build an awesome underground cinder block wood cellar.
7. Build a mini-root cellar.
8. Bury a school bus to use as a root cellar.
9. Hide a root cellar in an old building.
10. Use a dead freezer as a DIY root cellar.
11. Learn the proper way to set up a root cellar on your property.
12. Convert a boat into a root cellar.
13. Build an in-ground DIY root cellar.
14. Build an underground root cellar.
15. Make a simple DIY root cellar.
16. Build a root cellar space into a deck.
17. Turn a shipping container into a root cellar.