Harnessing energy from the sun is a great way to help the environment. There are many DIY solar projects that you can actually do at home, if your goal is to reduce dependence on the grid.
1. Build a $1 Solar light as a solar project.
2. Build your own solar-powered air cooler.
3. A solar table lamp could be fun to make at home.
4. How about a solar-powered cell phone charger?
5. Illuminate your sidewalk with a solar powered LED lamp post.
6. Make your own solar powered radio.
7. Build your own solar hot water heater.
8. Convert your lawn mower to run on solar power.
9. Extend your wireless internet signal into your for a backyard network.
10. Build a homemade greenhouse for under $50.
11. Make a colored light jar that is powered by the sun.
12. Use glass blocks to illuminate your sidewalk or walkway.
13. Build a solar panel heater for your home.
14. Make a hot box solar oven to use when camping or for outdoor cooking.
15. Build a DIY passive solar air heater for your home.
16. Make your own solar oven for distilling water.